Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SECRETARY & Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member # 019
    Rides

Kerry
    WARNING !
    A 427 body style cobra will not fit into a 7' wide trailer - the fender flares will not clear the door suspension cables.

A 289 style will just barely clear but has to be winched in - there is only about 2" total clearance on this narrower style body.

Height is an issue when towing - more frontal area. I have a taller trailer and pay the price with gas mileage. Rick Hubbard has the same trailer, just lower height and he gets a couple mpg's bettter.

Paul

Member #007

Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    Kerry
    WARNING!
    A 427 body style cobra will not fit into a 7' wide trailer - the fender flares will not clear the door suspension cables.

A 289 style will just barely clear but has to be winched in - there is only about 2" total clearance on this narrower style body.

Height is an issue when towing - more frontal area. I have a taller trailer and pay the price with gas mileage. Rick Hubbard has the same trailer, just lower height and he gets a couple mpg's better.

Paul

My only consideration of the 7' width was based on an inference that multiple members (Ian, Kent, Dan and yourself) had and were successfully using the 7'x18' Arising model 7183TA-02031 trailer.
    That inference is apparently not accurate or I misunderstood the comment made.
    Is your trailer an Arising model?

The height issue and resultant lower mileage are less of a concern for me as the trailer will be primarily used for transporting household items and taller equipment for relatively shorter distances. However, I just want to ensure the dimensions will fit the F5 body later.
    I may need to get further info from you on tie down locations, as it is becoming clearer that I will likely have to have another custom trailer built.

If an 8' or 8.5' x 16' trailer will work for the 427 body...I may pursue that as the floor space would be adequate for the equipment I need to move.
    "If you build a liberal a fire, he will be warm for a while. If you set a liberal on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life."

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.'

"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stops to reload."

The problems we face today are there ... because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

PRESIDENT, FORUM MODERATOR, Member # 015

Trust me, the wider trailer will be better for all around use for towing other vehicles. I always suggest mirror extension's with any enclosed trailer.
    FFR# ????, 460 Big Block, Quickfuel 750 Mechanical Sec., Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to Cobra Jet heads, 428 rwhp and 437 rwtq, T5, 8.8 4 link, 3.55 rear, 4 wheel disc, Color - 2007 Ford/Toyota Orange Crush with Ingot Silver Stripes, Never completed

Kerry, I do have an Arising trailer, but it isn't 7' wide. I'll measure it when it's light out.
    FFR #4402 Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process

Turner here, YES, the trailer is 8’ wide due to the explanation from Paul P. / Kent has same, but had the height reduced for better air resistance. The owner there at Viper Trailer is a very nice guy, old go karter and good friend of HARRIS AUTO in Wentzville, used to race together. He was very helpful and accomodating to me, as never has a trailer prior... probably just a good idea to stop in there in person...Insee you and him getting along nicely....

Member #007

I have been looking at a source of 8.5' trailers in GA that have a number of standard features such as dropped axles, 6.5" interior height and heavy duty 5,000 lb ramp door...however, they come with a beavertail floor which is great for hauling cars but not so desirable for tall top heavy machinery.
    They also offer a 7,000 lb super duty ramp door for only $275 more.

18.5 x 18.JPG

To that standard trailer I would have to add:
    - the V nose ($235)
    - 60" triple tube extended tongue ($175)
    - 54" driver escape door ($295)
    - a couple added D rings @ $17 each
    - LED lights @ $40

Total of $5451.00

If I go with an 8' wide I can get a flat floor. And the driver's side "escape" door is available with either width.
    Also, there are only a couple hundred dollars between the 16' and 18' trailers making the added floor space of an 18' a plus...as long as maneuverability is not reduced too much.
    Note that I am currently towing a 12,000lb 20 ft open top trailer with the Suburban with no maneuverability issues...so I would expect the 18' should not be a major issue other than adding extended mirrors.

IMG_0213.jpg

But..the 8' x 18 with flat floor and escape door may prove to be the most versatile combination. Not sure...

GA is a long drive (733mi) to the Manufacturer... but it eliminates a local dealer's mark up and MO sales tax. A considerable savings even after factoring in the added $240 fuel cost.
    Last edited by Kerry & Kathy; 01-04-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    "If you build a liberal a fire, he will be warm for a while. If you set a liberal on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life."

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.'

The problems we face today are there ... because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Kerry, you'll pay sales tax no matter where you buy it when you go get tags.

Member #007

Quote Originally Posted by Richgrsc View Post
    Kerry, you'll pay sales tax no matter where you buy it when you go get tags.
    You are correct...!
    So the savings primarily will be in eliminating the local dealer's markup...and his transportation charges.
    Last edited by Kerry & Kathy; 01-04-2019 at 01:12 PM.

No E-track!
    Factory Five MK3.1,302 EFI,T5 ,3.55's,Tubular control arms,4 wheel disc's,17x11 and 17x9.5 Levy wheels,255 and 315 Kumho Ecstas, Hydroboost power steering and brakes,QJ delete front and back,Custom hood and side louvers,Dequire nose.

SECRETARY & Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member # 019

We are all using 8' trailers. Jim Dooley is the only one that has a 7', to my knowledge

7' has wheels /fenders on outside of box - 8',has wheels / wheel wells on inside of box