Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #007
    Rides

Default Enclosed Trailers?

I am considering buying an enclosed trailer to use to transport large household items from our Farmington house to the farm and to transport guns and ammo to gun shows.
    When we permanently move to the farm it needs to be large enough that we can haul personal items in plastic totes in as few a number of trips as possible.

Obviously, I don't yet have need of one to haul a Cobra...but am curious as to the smallest size of enclosed trailer that "could" haul a Cobra.
    I can measure my car dimensions but would appreciate any input from our more experienced members that might allow a purchase to potentially also do double duty in the future hauling our car.

At this point, I am looking for a bumper mount, double axle with brakes, ramp, a side door, and an angled front end.
    I would like one tall enough that I could stand up inside. (6'4")
    It would be pulled with our 3/4 T Suburban.
    I am considering both aluminum and steel frames.
    Initially, it would be used for hauling cargo.
    Much later it can be tailored with tie-down anchors and interior lights to haul the Cobra.

Suggestions..??

Thanks.
    "If you build a liberal a fire, he will be warm for a while. If you set a liberal on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life."

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.'

"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stops to reload."

The problems we face today are there ... because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

SECRETARY & Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member # 019

The hips of the 427 body dictate the trailer has to be 8' wide. On a 7', the cables for the door won't let the car on the ramp, so 8' it has to be.

As far as length, you might be able to use a 14' V-nose but it would really be difficult to strap the vehicle in - I would caution on this, if you think it might be the one, make sure to try a car in it before committing.

I run a 16' V-Nose with plenty of room up front and no issues getting it in and strapped down. On either length, you need to spec where the front hold-downs go. The standard position will put the forward ones under the front tires and un-usable.

Paul

Member #007

Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    The hips of the 427 body dictate the trailer has to be 8' wide. On a 7', the cables for the door won't let the car on the ramp, so 8' it has to be.

As far as length, you might be able to use a 14' V-nose but it would really be difficult to strap the vehicle in - I would caution on this, if you think it might be the one, make sure to try a car in it before committing.

I run a 16' V-Nose with plenty of room up front and no issues getting it in and strapped down. On either length, you need to spec where the front hold-downs go. The standard position will put the forward ones under the front tires and un-usable.

Paul
    Thanks, Paul. That gives me a starting point.
    "If you build a liberal a fire, he will be warm for a while. If you set a liberal on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life."

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.'

The problems we face today are there ... because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Member #007

I am seeing a lot of 8.5' wide trailers with the interior wheel well boxes that appear to be high enough to contact the driver's door when open
    Will the driver's door clear those wheel wells when open?

Would a side door above the driver side wheel well be a good option to add to facilitate driver exit from the car after loading?

Any options for the ramp/rear door that need to be considered other than risers at the rear doors edge to allow the nose to clear the ramps?

PRESIDENT, FORUM MODERATOR, Member # 015

My doors would clear those wheel wells, but, typically I just climbed in over the door. They do make trailers, as you mentioned, with doors that raise up for access to the car, not a bad idea. As for the rear ramp, you can get away with no additional ramps if you get the drop axles (Like Mike and Paul have). The only drawback is losing some ground clearance under the trailer. The other good thing about drop axle trailers are ease of access in to the trailer.
    FFR# ????, 460 Big Block, Quickfuel 750 Mechanical Sec., Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to Cobra Jet heads, 428 rwhp and 437 rwtq, T5, 8.8 4 link, 3.55 rear, 4 wheel disc, Color - 2007 Ford/Toyota Orange Crush with Ingot Silver Stripes, Never completed

Member #007

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Venom View Post
    My doors would clear those wheel wells, but, typically I just climbed in over the door. They do make trailers, as you mentioned, with doors that raise up for access to the car, not a bad idea. As for the rear ramp, you can get away with no additional ramps if you get the drop axles (Like Mike and Paul have). The only drawback is losing some ground clearance under the trailer. The other good thing about drop axle trailers are ease of access in to the trailer.
    The drop axles are a good suggestion... as it would also facilitate loading large shop items on and off the trailer using pallet jacks or hand trucks.

Mike / Paul: what is your actual ground clearance?
    Has that been a liability?
    The only issue I might have would be at the farm on uneven ground when moving items to the shop or house.

I highly doubt if I would be able to get in and out of the car with the door closed so an added door might be necessary.

SECRETARY & Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member # 019

[QUOTE=Kerry & Kathy;48166 . . .Paul: what is your actual ground clearance?
    Has that been a liability? . . . [/QUOTE]

My perimeter frame is 9-1/2" off flat ground. The two axles aren't that high but since they're in line with the wheel center, they'll climb over a substantial height and still be ok. I am guessing they are around 6-7" off the ground.

It's lower than a big flat deck trailer but I've never been anywhere it was an issue. With that said, I was climbing over a ditch at Putnam and the axle articulation cut a brake wire. That may have been a design issue though.

You're not going to get it to go where the farm trailers go, but farm trailers don't travel that well over paved roads, at least not at speed and great distances.

Member #007

Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    My perimeter frame is 9-1/2" off flat ground. The two axles aren't that high but since they're in line with the wheel center, they'll climb over a substantial height and still be ok. I am guessing they are around 6-7" off the ground.

It's lower than a big flat deck trailer but I've never been anywhere it was an issue. With that said, I was climbing over a ditch at Putnam and the axle articulation cut a brake wire. That may have been a design issue though.

You're not going to get it to go where the farm trailers go, but farm trailers don't travel that well over paved roads, at least not at speed and great distances.
    9 1/2" would work fine on the gravel farm roads since I don't plan on getting into the fields with it.
    I think the dropped axles would work well and be a plus for loading.

Thanks, Paul and Tim...!

Social Director, Member #067

Kerry, this old post has some good information regarding enclosed trailers.

I have a Stealth 8.5'x18' box with 2' V nose. Have been very happy with the quality of the trailer but it is more expensive than some of the others. I also added a few additional options like an extended tongue (recommend) and mag wheels. I especially liked the look of the standard screwless exterior although that may not be important to most?

http://www.stealthtrailer.com/our-story

Member #007

Quote Originally Posted by mplunk View Post
    Kerry, this old post has some good information regarding enclosed trailers.

I have a Stealth 8.5'x18' box with 2' V nose. Have been very happy with the quality of the trailer but it is more expensive than some of the others. I also added a few additional options like an extended tongue (recommend) and mag wheels. I especially liked the look of the standard screwless exterior although that may not be important to most?

http://www.stealthtrailer.com/our-story
    Thanks, Mike...I had reviewed this thread and others but trailer selection is still a matter of options vs price and I am still debating between a standard 7' wide vs 8' or 8.5' with interior wheel wells, a driver side entry door, and an interior higher than the more common 6"3".

Do you find the 8.5' width an issue with visibility to the rear when towing?
    Is it wide enough to require extended mirrors?

The extended tongue is a good idea that I applied to our custom built 12,000 lb 20' flat trailer for towing our heavy equipment.

How much of a premium in cost was the 8.5' width over a more common 7'...?
    What is your interior height?

Thanks.