Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail Lights

SECRETARY & Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member # 019
    Rides

Default Tail Lights

Tony
    I noticed the tail lights on your car are noticeably brighter than others. Did those come with your build or did you source them from somewhere else?

Paul

Member #077

Paul, I got those tail lights from RodWorx. They are all LED and act as if its only one bulb. So if your wiring harness is set up as dual bulbs (brake and turn) you will need a trailer module. It must be a powered unit though. If it does not have its own power source it will not work right. The one RodWorx sells will not work. When it wouldn’t work he sent me the resistors. Still no luck. After lots and lots of searching on the Web, I finally found only one other (JEEP) guy that had a solution. That was the powered trailer module. I needed no resistors. I still have the regular bulb front blinkers. Because of this the flashers still work. If I change them to LED I would need a solid state “no load” LED flasher. https://www.rodworx.com/product-cate...60-cobra-leds/ Pictures of what I used are attached. Any questions just ask.

IMG_1052.jpgIMG_3507.jpgIMG_3508.jpg

Tony

Geez, Tong G is all over it...perfect description, although COMPLETELY OVER MY HEAD!

Paul if you see this, did you happen to notice the DIFFERENCE IN MY TAIL/Brake lights ...On Rt66 ride. They were all completely redone and replaced...should be perfect now... just an FYI. and thanks for bringing to my attention....bright is the theme....

PRESIDENT, FORUM MODERATOR, Member # 015

Not sure I understand why this light won't simply work with a 12v source Tony. Goesinta, goesoutta logic. It's a 12v bulb, so, seems to me, every time 12v is applied, light on. Was the reason for the resistors or the trailer harness for the running lights maybe?
    FFR# ????, 460 Big Block, Quickfuel 750 Mechanical Sec., Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to Cobra Jet heads, 428 rwhp and 437 rwtq, T5, 8.8 4 link, 3.55 rear, 4 wheel disc, Color - 2007 Ford/Toyota Orange Crush with Ingot Silver Stripes, Never completed

SECRETARY & Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member # 019

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Venom View Post
    Not sure I understand why this light won't simply work with a 12v source Tony. . . .
    Tim
    Increasing resistance is a common thing with LED's to make the flasher work. LED's don't apply enough load to the flasher to make it function.

VICE PRESIDENT, Member # 032

Ian, I was going to ask you if you changed them. You're upper lights are brighter, but your lower lights are dimmer and have a different pattern. Are the lens different? The lower lights looked like 6 or eight individual lights in a circular pattern. I'm assuming you are running LED bulbs, are they the same bulbs upper & lower?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, Painted 4/10/14

Good question...yes the lower bulbs are LED, TOP ARE NORMAL CLEAR BULBS....need to change out bottom bulbs and trash the LED crap...make everything clear... thanks for observations...

Member #077

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Venom View Post
    Not sure I understand why this light won't simply work with a 12v source Tony. Goesinta, goesoutta logic. It's a 12v bulb, so, seems to me, every time 12v is applied, light on. Was the reason for the resistors or the trailer harness for the running lights maybe?
    What Paul said about the resistors is correct. But since I'm running regular front lights I didn't need them. You could also use a solid state flasher. https://www.rodworx.com/shop/12v-3-p...ignal-flasher/ The trailer converter is to turn 2 separate light bulbs (turn and brake) a 3 wire system to work as one bulb. These tail lights act as one light bulb or what is called a 2 wire system. Same as the lights on the back trailers. Why a powered converter was needed I don't know. But it was.

Here is a quote from etrailer.

"Converters are required when a vehicle has what is called a 3-wire or separate lighting system. These systems will have turn signal circuits that are separate from the brake light circuits.

Trailers use a 2-wire or combined system meaning the brake lights and turn signals are on the same circuit.

A converter is needed to take the separate signals from the vehicle and combine them so that the trailer lights operating on a combined system will work properly."
    Last edited by Tony_G; 10-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Member #077

Ian I noticed the same as Mark with your blinker lights being very dim. Do you know if its Red LED's under the red lens? That could be the problem. With a red lens you would want to put in clear LED's. Normally LED's should be brighter.

VICE PRESIDENT, Member # 032

Tony, I was told you should run Red LEDs with Red Lens.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, Painted 4/10/14