PRESIDENT, Member # 032
    Name:
    Mark Patterson
    Rides

Default What are you doing during the Pandemic to stay busy? (Cobra-related or otherwise)

I've always enjoyed Pinball Machines and have been following Virtual Pinball machines for about 10 years.
    With the performance of PCs and monitors constantly increasing and the price of monitors/TVs going down significanty I started researching the project in March/April and started building the PC in June. I just finished the cabinet, wiring, and audio system in December. Still tweaking the software, but I have about 200 tables installed at this point and on my way to becoming a Pinball Wizard. LOL I still need to final sand the cabinet and paint it black, but that will wait until it warms up outside.

When 'Rona dies down, y'all will be invited over for some beers & pinball. (I also built a Video Arcade before the Cobra, for you OG Pac-Man and Galaga fans!) What's your favorite Pinball you played back in the day?

IMG_2692.jpgIMG_2694.jpgIMG_2698.jpgIMG_2699.jpgIMG_2700.jpgIMG_2701.jpgIMG_2702.jpgIMG_2704.jpg

So, what's your activity been? (oh, Ann & I are also doing puzzles. She got 3 for Christmas)
    Last edited by MPTech; 01-23-2021 at 10:18 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, Painted 4/10/14
    1965 Factory Five Roadster mk4 , 302 T-5 mid-shift IRS, Ford Trac-Loc (posi), Alum pumpkin, 3.55 gearing Ford Vista Blue w/Performance White Lemans stripes

Member #077
    Name:
    Tony Goebel

Wow Mark. That's pretty cool.

SECRETARY, Member # 015
    Name:
    Tim Mauldin

Awesome. So wait, the 'table' is a TV? You can change the table with software? That's cool!
    FFR# ????, 460 Big Block, Quickfuel 750 Mechanical Sec., Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to Cobra Jet heads, 428 rwhp and 437 rwtq, T5, 8.8 4 link, 3.55 rear, 4 wheel disc, Color - 2007 Ford/Toyota Orange Crush with Ingot Silver Stripes, Never completed

PRESIDENT, Member # 032
    Name:
    Mark Patterson

Yes, no "hardware", the bumpers, flippers, knockers, chimes. etc, sounds and feedback are all Virtual (PC generated). The Plunger and Nudge are controlled by a KLZ Controller board that supports an Accelerometer and Potentiometer. Press the Flipper buttons and it activates them and you can hear and FEEL them, Pull the Plunger and it Launches the ball and you can FEEL it bounce and roll, Bump the cabinet and it Nudges the ball!!
    I installed a 7.1 Audio system, 2.1 speakers in the Backbox for sounds and 4 Exciter speakers and a Bass Shaker (no cone, mounted directly to the cabinet sidewalls (like Home Theater speakers mounted to your seats and you feel it in your butt), gives a tactal feedback and surround feel.
    It looks and feels almost like a real Pinball, except I can load over 500 unique tables and it doesn't cost me a LOT of quarters to play.
    (Yes, I have a Fake Cobra and Fake Pinball Machine, but both give the Feel and Excitement of the real thing for a LOT less money and with 21st century engineering!!) And just like the Cobra, it was more Internet Research and Planning, than actual building time!

IMG_2674.jpgIMG_2590.jpgIMG_2676.jpg

SECRETARY, Member # 015
    Name:
    Tim Mauldin

What was total cost.. Looks less than a grand maybe?
    FFR# ????, 460 Big Block, Quickfuel 750 Mechanical Sec., Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to Cobra Jet heads, 428 rwhp and 437 rwtq, T5, 8.8 4 link, 3.55 rear, 4 wheel disc, Color - 2007 Ford/Toyota Orange Crush with Ingot Silver Stripes, Never completed

PRESIDENT, Member # 032
    Name:
    Mark Patterson

They sell kits for the cabinet and pinball parts for about $3k + you add PC & Monitors (about another $1k) all of the software is Open Source & downloadable from the net (free). That's the complicated part. I've spent MANY MANY HOURS reading & watching Youtube videos and I'm still configuring & tweaking settings. I probaby installed about 20 different pieces of software, then get them to all work together has been a challenge.
    I've see turnkey systems, built & software loaded/setup for $7k - $10k (with all the bells & whistles (LITERALLY bells & whistles). BUT, if it has the all of the software & tables installed, it is illegal to sell without permission of all of the Open Source developers (100's). It's a real grey area and will get you banned from the FB groups and Forums for asking.
    They also make Virtual Reality versions too, but I'm leaving that to a future update (MORE time & money)

I found plans for the cabinet & backbox, converted all of the measurements to inches (frickin' metric crap) and I have a neighbor that has an excellent wood shop. He charged me $100, I supplied 1/2" & 3/4" sheets of furniture grade plywood and my time to help him. I'm estimating about $1,500 for me to buy/build everything.

If you are interested in building, you can do it, very similar to building a roadster, but no oil or gas required. I have a great starter document (about 150 pages), if you are interested. Don't let the PC scare you, that's the easy part and I can definitely help there.
    I'd enjoy sharing my knowledge & interest. I'll also share my plans & documents. You're welcome to come over and play some games and drink some beer (when your arm gets better and your ribs don't hurt from Nudging).

SECRETARY, Member # 015
    Name:
    Tim Mauldin

Thanks. I used to like playing, was an average player. Older and reflexes obviously slower. But would like to give it a whirl. I know a guy that has a nice woodshop with mostly new tools

VICE PRESIDENT, Member # 010
    Name:
    Dan Turnbull

Looks very cool Mark. Nice craftsmanship. I know what you mean about getting different technologies to work nice together. A lot of times that's harder than the rest of the project. Well done. I really like all the different things your into as well. Slot car racing, building cars, woodworking and older electronic games from our youth. Far ranging interests.

During Covid my sister talked my mom into moving into a condo and then dropped everything in my lap. I spent 6 months prepping the condo, moving her and then cleaning out the old place she had been in for 55 years and then rehabbing it for sale. Been trying to keep mom safe during this and then finally got back to working on the cobra. I only had about 8-10 hours on it from December through June. I've done a big push to try and get it ready for the summer. It should be going to the body guy on the 30th. We found a couple of extra things to do before he takes it. I'll have a few weeks of no car. Probably going to clean up the place and rest up for the final push. Might start playing with the layout of the cockpit and fabbing some framework up to weld in when I get the car back.
    FFR #4402 Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process

Name:
    Rich Schipper

I feel really unloved. No one asked me to help build a pinball table.

PRESIDENT, Member # 032
    Name:
    Mark Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Richgrsc View Post
    I feel really unloved. No one asked me to help build a pinball table.
    I could walk to my neighbor's house. But you're invited over for beer and shoot a few games! (do you have a favorite Pinball game?)